• According to the Centers for Disease Control, 22.7% of Americans have doctor-diagnosed arthritis—that’s 55.4 million people, making it one of the most common chronic conditions among adults.
• Arthritis develops when cartilage (the material that covers the ends of bones at joints, keeping them from rubbing against one another) and synovium (the fluid between cartilage) become inflamed or damaged. Osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis, is a degenerative disorder caused by cartilage wearing away and allowing bones to rub against each other, leading to pain, swelling, and stiffness. Other frequently diagnosed types of arthritis include fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and lupus.
• While there is no cure for arthritis, there are a variety of useful and effective tools to help ease pain and manage symptoms.
• AliMed carries a wide range of braces and supports to ease arthritis pain anywhere it develops—shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, fingers, wrists, feet and ankles.
• Mobility devices, including canes, rollators, and walkers and self-transfer aids such as grab bars and seat lifts help patients move through their day safely and independently.
• For patients with limited hand function, helpful tools and modified, everyday objects like dressing aids, kitchen and dining aids, and bathing and toileting aids help maintain independence.
• To relieve painful arthritis flare-ups, AliMed offers hot and cold wraps and compression socks and stockings.